weirdmoviefan

Kim Reads Books About Things

I like most books, particularly children's and YA. The fact that I am 21 does not and will never hinder this, and it shouldn't. A good book is a good book is a good book. Anyway. I'll read anything I can get my hands on if the mood suits me.
SPOILER ALERT!

Under the Mesquite

Under the Mesquite - Guadalupe Garcia McCall Me and verse novels are a bit like oil and water... they don't mix often. Out of the Dust remains my favorite by far; few others even touch that. This was one of the better ones I've read in the past few years (alongside Inside Out and Back Again). I expected a bit more focus on Mami's cancer battle and less on the whole picture of Lupita's teenage experience, but perhaps that was for the best (after all, how many "cancer books" do we have already?). Since I'm so at odds with the format it was written in, the lovely prose didn't do too much for me beyond admiration of some of the more inspired phrasings. Personal preferences aside, this is a lovely little book with a strong protagonist. Thankfully, it's not a depressing angst parade like many of its brethren, and it's a blessedly quick read in a time where "quick reads" with any substance are becoming fewer and harder to find.