weirdmoviefan

Kim Reads Books About Things

I like most books, particularly children's and YA. The fact that I am 21 does not and will never hinder this, and it shouldn't. A good book is a good book is a good book. Anyway. I'll read anything I can get my hands on if the mood suits me.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post

The Miseducation of Cameron Post - Emily M. Danforth Certainly there is nothing glaringly awful about this book. For one, the writing is spectacular, the settings and characters vivid. But for whatever reason, possibly because I am not a lesbian, it didn't fully click with me. I also felt it was more than a little overlong, and rather dense; great for the reader so in love with its world, not so great for someone who merely really likes and admires it. It's not a ridiculously overlong book, but its length is a bit intimidating and some scenes could definitely have been cut without hurting the story. (That's just me, though.) Things started to slow down a lot halfway through, not that the book ever lost its immense appeal, but its hook in me was dislodged around the last hundred pages.

By far the best thing about this book is its refusal to paint any character as completely bad. There are plenty of misguided and ignorant characters, but no true villains. (Not even Lydia, really.) It's a nice change from the whole "everyone who opposes homosexuality is a cartoonish mustache-twirling evildoer" thing. Yes, the conservative characters angry up the blood at times, but they are still people.

For the right person, this could be a life-changing book. I am not really the right person in this case, but I found much to like and admire in this book. I felt a lot of hope for Cameron and girls like her, hope that they would get to a place where they are understood and where it truly does get better.