weirdmoviefan

Kim Reads Books About Things

I like most books, particularly children's and YA. The fact that I am 21 does not and will never hinder this, and it shouldn't. A good book is a good book is a good book. Anyway. I'll read anything I can get my hands on if the mood suits me.

Memories of Summer

Memories of Summer - Ruth White This book reminded me of no other book as much as "A Corner of the Universe," and for a very good reason: there is most likely not another book for middle grade audiences that shows how utterly heartbreaking mental illness can be to a family, especially to a young girl caught in the middle of all of it. I doubt that many kids would WANT to read a book as sad as this (or that), but children with the same issues or those who are curious should be given these books. Anyway, as a lover of fiction about schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, I adored this book, though not as much as "A Corner of the Universe." The relationship between the sisters, as well as Summer's harrowing (and very realistic, if a bit too "everything") descent and the DEVASTATING final two chapters, will remain with me for a long, long time. I'm still crying now, just thinking about it.