weirdmoviefan

Kim Reads Books About Things

I like most books, particularly children's and YA. The fact that I am 21 does not and will never hinder this, and it shouldn't. A good book is a good book is a good book. Anyway. I'll read anything I can get my hands on if the mood suits me.

Infandous Lives Up to Its Title in a Good Way

Infandous - Elana K. Arnold

There are books with shocking endings involved, like We Were Liars. There are books about girls with horrible secrets they can't share, like Speak. Elana K. Arnold's Infandous has things in common with those books, but it's truly in a league of its own. It's a book about many topics-- sex, the male gaze, the way that girls become women, art, recovery, a complicated mother-daughter relationship--but it's short, written clearly and with beautiful language, and overall just an impressive little jewel. Strange, profound, and haunting: this is the kind of YA that should be rubbed in the face of anyone who thinks YA is "morally simplistic" or any other derogatory thing.

But be prepared: this one's likely to hit you hard. I wish I could say more about it than that, but this is the kind of book where you need to know as little going in as possible. And as for that super-cliche description on the front flap: ignore. After reading the book, it's laughable... though it gives a technically truthful description of what does happen...